The time is ticking and before long, the fate of the Senate Presidency of Senator Bukola Saraki will be decided, as his trial on 13 counts of false assets declaration before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, is set to resume on the 10th of March.
According to reports, notice has been issued and sent to the parties involved.
Senator Saraki is standing trial over allegations of false assets declaration. The trial was suspended when the Supreme Court ordered for a stay of proceeding to allow it rule on an appeal brought before it by Saraki against the trial. The apex court however ruled last week that Saraki should go and face his trial at the CCT.
Confirming the resumption of the trial, the Head, Press and Public Relations of the CCT, Mr. Ibraheem Al-hassan, said the tribunal issued and served hearing notices on the parties on Friday.
“We have issued and served the hearing notice today,” Alhassan said.
It would be recalled that there had calls for Saraki’s resignation as Senate President since the Supreme Court ordered that his trial should continue at the tribunal. However, Senators loyal to him insisted that such calls were mere grandstanding and that he remained innocent until proven guilty. The Senators also said the trial is not about fighting corruption but mere political vendetta.
0 comments :
Post a Comment