Abacha loot spent on roads, electricity, others, Okonjo-Iweala tells World Bank



The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has 

“received several documents from the World Bank totalling over 700 pages 

on information on the spending of recovered assets stolen by the late 

General Abacha, with some of the documents suggesting that Abacha loot 

was spent on roads, electricity, education, health and water.”



This information was disclosed by SERAP executive director, Adetokunbo 

Mumuni, in a statement dated November 29, 2015.



The organisation said, “SERAP can confirm that last week we received 

several documents from Ann May of the Access to Information Team of the 

World Bank following our Access to Information Request to the Bank. We 

also received a letter dated 24 November 2015 from Mr. Rachid 

Benmessaoud, Director of the World Bank in Africa.”

“In total, SERAP has received over 700 pages of documents, which we are 

now closely studying and scrutinising with a view to discovering whether 

the documents contain details that Nigerians would like to see and 

whether the information correspond to the facts on the ground. After this 

analysis, we will respond to the Bank and consider our options, including 

filing an appeal before the Bank’s Access to Information Appeals Board 

and taking other appropriate legal actions nationally and internationally 

to discover what exactly happened to Abacha recovered loot,” the 

organisation said.

The organisation said that “In the meantime our preliminary review of 

some of the documents and the letter from Mr Rachid Benmessaoud have 

revealed certain facts which raise more questions about what exactly 

happened to Abacha loot: First, that Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as Minister 

of Finance in a letter dated 9 January 2005 explained to the Bank that 

around $500m (N65bn) of Abacha loot received from Switzerland was 

programmed into and spent in the 2004 and 2005 budgets on roads, 

electricity, education, water and health across all 6 geo-political zones 

of Nigeria.”

“Second, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala explained to the Bank that N18.60bn was spent 

on roads; N10.83bn spent on health; N7bn spent on education; N6.20bn 

spent on water; and N21.70bn spent on electricity. She also said that 

part of the funds were spent on new and ongoing investment projects. Mrs. 

Okonjo-Iweala said that relevant federal ministries have the full details 

on the spending of repatriated Abacha loot. The Bank noted that there was 

no funds monitoring and tracking mechanism in place to trace the spending 

of Abacha loot,” the organisation also disclosed.

“Third, Mr Rachid Benmessaoud confirmed that the World Bank played a 

monitoring role in a return of assets by Switzerland but that the Bank is 

not currently involved in the monitoring of spending of Abacha loot that 

have been returned to Nigeria in recent years. He said that the Bank 

would be prepared to set up a mechanism to monitor the use of Abacha loot 

if the Nigerian government requests the Bank’s assistance in this 

respect.”

“Given Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala’s involvement in the spending of Abacha loot, 

SERAP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to urgently probe the role of 

the Ministry of Finance and relevant federal ministries at the time in 

the spending of Abacha loot particularly given the strong allegations of 

mismanagement that characterised the use of the funds,” the organisation 

said.

“Although Mrs Okonjo-Iweala said that Abacha loot was spent in the 2004 

and 2005 budgets on roads, electricity, education, water and health 

across all 6 geo-political zones of Nigeria, there is no evidence of such 

projects as millions of Nigerians continue to travel on dead roads, while 

they continue to lack access to adequate electricity supply, water, 

health and quality education. Therefore, President Buhari can no longer 

continue to remain silent on this issue of public interest if Nigerians 

are to continue to trust him in his fight against corruption,” the 

organisation also said.

It would be recalled that in a letter dated October 15, 2015 and signed 

by Ann May of the Access to Information Team, the Bank said that “In 

response to your request under AI3982, we would like to inform you that 

we are still considering your request and need additional time to provide 

you with a more comprehensive response.”

The letter reads in part “In most cases, we will be able to respond 

within twenty (20) working days from receipt of a request for 

information. However, we may need additional time in special 

circumstances, for example, if the request is complex or voluminous or if 

it requires further review by or consultation with internal World Bank 

units, external parties, the Access to Information Committee, or the 

World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors.”

Earlier, SERAP had on September 21, 2015 sent an access to information 

request to Jim Yong Kim, President, World Bank Group urging him to 

“exercise the Bank’s prerogative to release documents relating to 

spending of recovered assets stolen by Late General Sani Abacha”.

The group also asked Mr. Yong Kim to “disclose information about the 

Bank’s role in the implementation of any projects funded by the recovered 

assets and any other on-going repatriation initiatives on Nigeria with 

which the Bank is engaged.”

The request was “pursuant to the World Bank’s Access to Information 

Policy (The Policy), approved by the Board on June 30 205. SERAP notes 

that one of the Policy’s guiding principles is to maximize access to 

information. There is also clear public interest in Nigerians knowing 

about the Bank’s supervisory role and specifically its involvement in the 

implementation of projects on which repatriated funds were spent.”

Share on Google Plus

About The Nigerian Blogger

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment