UPDATE: 7 killed in Jos school building collapse, rescue efforts continue


At least seven people were killed when a school building collapsed on Sunday in Jos, Plateau State.

A witness said Abu Naima Primary and Secondary School in Bukuru, Jos South local Government Area, said to be an Islamic school, collapsed on Sunday evening killing some of the pupils.

The incident happened at about 6:30 p.m. local time.

The witness, Awal Ahmed, told PREMIUM TIMES in a telephone interview explain that “so far 7 dead bodies have been evacuated from the building, but there are several others still in the building.”

According to Mr. Awal, the building collapsed at the time the pupils, most of them less than 10 years old – were being taught Sunday classes, which is believed to be attended by about 30 pupils.

The Zonal Coordinator, North Central of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, Mohammed Abdulsalam, confirmed the casualty to PREMIUM TIMES.

Mr. Abdulsalam said rescue team of the agency arrived the scene, recovered 7 bodies, while five people were rescued but with severe injuries.

He said the injured persons have been taken to Plateau Specialist Hospital in Jos for medical attention.

He also said rescue efforts were ongoing and casualty nay increase as several other people were still buried in the rubble.
Share on Google Plus

About The Nigerian Blogger

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment